Thursday, January 20, 2011

Hugs not Drugs


I got a call the other day from my 12 year old daughters school. It was the guidance counselor telling me a teacher had overheard her and her friends bragging about drinking and smoking the ganja. The called her in from class to talk to her about this. The counselor asked her if it was true. She denied it, and told her that she wouldnt do that and isnt going to do that. She said she wouldnt do it because her older sister would be very mad at her.

The counselor told me not to say anything to her about the phone call. So I waited to see if she would say something to me about the incident. My daughter text me and told me that she had something to tell me. All I could think was "This is a good sign" she is communicating with me.

She ended up texting me, telling me there was something she needed to talk to me about and then proceeded to tell me about it. When I called her on my way home from work She denied it still. Anyone that is a parent wants to believe anything their kid says, you want the best for your child. I told her that and told her for piece of mind, I wanted to drug test her. She got pretty upset and asked if I trusted her. I said if you didnt do it "Okay" is the only thing you should say. She said "Okay"

I bought the Mack daddy drug test. (pictured above) It tests everything. I got home and went through the directions with her. It is very much like a prego test, pee in a cup, soak the test and wait. It is really simple and you can see results in 10 minutes or less.

After a very busy and emotional week when the negative results came through, I wanted to sob. I was proud and relieved and reassured. Being the sole parent everyday is exhausting. Even more so with teen girls. The mood swings are very trying. I have to work and they are too old for a sitter so trust and communication are a constant topic at my house.

All is well with the kids. I expressed my emotion with her. And got a great big hug and an I love you.

No comments: